Skip to main content

The Doctor Who Remix: I Remix, Therefore I Am - Part 2

Cyvergence has done several remixes the past few years. This series of back stories is about revisiting the thoughts and process that went on behind the scenes.

Today I will focus on the unofficial I Am The Doctor remix.

Why Doctor Who?

I like Doctor Who. In fact, I love it to bits. Why? Because fezzes are cool, and so are bow ties.

Fezzes are cool indeed.

Truth be told, I found Season 1 of the 2005 "reboot" rather cheesy. The soundtrack was cheesy, set designs were cheesy, and let's not mention Rose's mom. Then along came the David Tennant era. I was hooked as I laughed and condensed a silent tear here and there. Matt Smith's quirky, yet dangerous style grew on me after a period of doubt. And yes, Amy Pond is a cute companion.

The Start of a New Remix

How did the remix start?

One dark stormy night as the stars slept with their eyes wide open, a purple Dalek descended from the heavens with a plunger looking for something to suck. "B-L-I-M-E-Y!", it communicated.

I woke up immediately, brewed a cup of coffee, and searched for a MIDI version of the Doctor Who theme song. 

"MIDI file?", you ask with one eyebrow raised? Yes, it was a cheesy moment, and also a lazy moment (the caffiene was still trying to pass the blood-brain barrier). I found it hard to detect keys and chords by listening, and I wanted to work on a remix "now!"

Fezzing Up

I blasted open the great glorious doors of Renoise, imported the Midi file, searched and pasted the leads into a new song and... well... nothing. There was no goal, no vibe, nothing to work towards. With every remix I work hard to inject my own feelings and style.

"How do I turn this into my own track?", I asked the silent metronome in the top left corner. Sadly, it didn't respond. Then, the angelic brain voice boomed from above: "Respect it!".

"Yes, oh great brain voice that may have me committed for attempted Schizophrenia.", I spluttered.

That was it! Don't change too much, and respect the original tune that remained largely unchanged throughout time and space. It was, after all, an unofficial mix, and I didn't want fans to tear me apart like an angry TARDIS.

"Do, however, make them dance!". I shivered at the thought of scratching an itch while wearing a straight jacket.

Researching The Origins

I stepped back, and travelled along the wormhole of Interwebs to understand the origins of this "basic" tune. The discovery I made was quite revealing. According to this Wikipedia article, the song was done in 1963.

That by itself doesn't sound too spectacular, but adding to the fact that commercial synthesizers weren't available and that the composers did a ton of work with tapes and manual tuning the bass oscillators, I was quite amazed.

Delia Derbyshire: Fifty years later, and still respected.
From the article:

"Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop used musique concrète techniques to realise a score written by composer Ron Grainer. Each and every note was individually created by cutting, splicing, speeding up and slowing down segments of analogue tape containing recordings of a single plucked string [...] The swooping melody and pulsating bass rhythm was created by manually adjusting the pitch of oscillator banks to a carefully timed pattern. [...] by cutting tape recordings of filtered white noise"

I would say it's quite an achievement.

Ron Grainer: Composer of the original Doctor Who theme song.

Waving the Sonic Screwdriver

Research was complete, and the real work started.

I kept the remix straightforward, true to its roots. Even inserted samples from the TV series (BBC, please don't sue me). It was quick, done, dusted...

... and bland.

"Oh great angelic brain voice, you suck sometimes."

"Uhuh."

I tinkered around for a few more days. Patched this and screw drivered that.

Then it suddenly came together. The distorted saw bassline, the gliding tuning lead, additional ghost notes, etc. just merged together, like fish sticks and custard. I also applied creative license to the bassline's scale, which can be heard in the second half of the track. It worked, I liked it, and it remained true to the original.

Batteries not included.

The track was bounced off a few friends, the mix was fixed, mastered (special thanks to the NuL guys, more on them in a later post), and uploaded to Soundcloud.

You can listen to it here:


It's Bigger On The Inside

What was the result of the remix, you ask?

Well, one year later it is still the most played track on my Soundcloud page from countries far and wide, and played at clubs. No angry fan tried to rip me apart, and no takedown notice from BBC (yet ;) ).

All cats agree.

In all fairness, this remix is a tribute to a surprisingly great series and no money is made from it. I'm just happy that fans enjoy it, and I certainly had fun working on this project.

The Lesson

Does this inane story actually have a lesson to be learned? Indeed it does:


Fezzes are cool, respect the fez.

(The Doctor Who series and characters appearing thereon are copyrighted by the BBC. The term "TARDIS" is trademarked by the BBC.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dismantled - Standard Issue: Mini Review

 "The Standard", a new unholy conglomaration of industrial and EBM from the mind of Gary Zon, is certainly an album that will always remain in my "O" category, filed under "Ooooh". I've previously remarked on the hot track called Anthem, graceful buildups, textured distorted beats, trance synths, and a proven winner on the dancefloor, so I won't say much more about that. The other songs on the same album are equally great to listen to, or stomp on a concrete floor. "Get It Through", the second track, bleeds with sarcasm, depth, and memorable pointlessness. Starting the lyrics as "a different beat... the same old shit... turn your head and I'll be replaced", it gives you a view of the current dance scene in general from an artist. The sonic arrangement on this track is superb, and is potentially another anti-dancefloor dancefloor hit. Other notable tracks include "Breed to Death" and "Thanks for Everyt

Ghost In The Static: I Remix, Therefore I Am - Part One

Cyvergence has done several remixes the past few years, some of them very popular and some not. This, and upcoming posts, is really about looking back at what I've done with these tracks, and why it turned out the way it did. Today I will focus on the Ghost In The Static remixes. Why Ghost In The Static? The G.I.T.S. band members. First off, I hardly knew this band before I started exploring remixes. One day, on the omnipotent soundcloud, another great band called Cease2Xist , uploaded an interesting remix. I listened to the track several times and thought to myself, while drooling into a paper cup: "Hmmm, who are these Ghost In The Static guys?" What drew my attention, was the intriguing industrial/electro/metal blend with an interesting vocalist. The sound wasn't as polished and molded then as it is now, however I noticed the potential (more on this later). I pointed my browser to the band's soundcloud page, sent them a private message,